To read the books on these Apple devices, you need to install iTunes + iBooks, copy the ebooks into iTunes and then sync your devices.
It sounds a lot, but it's really easy.
The great thing about iTunes is that once you have the Books on your computer, you can sync the whole lot to all supported devices (e.g. if you own an iPhone and an iPad) and it actually works pretty well on them all.
Pre-requisites, if you don't have this software already:
- Download and install iTunes 12 (free, improved user experience and the version to which these instructions relate)
- Download and install iBooks (free)
Now you're ready to download and install the ebooks:
- Download the EPUB format ebooks
- Unzip the file on your Desktop (either Mac or PC) - it should create a single "awiis_YEAR" folder with all the EPUB files inside
- Fire up iTunes
- You may have to restart iTunes after installing iBooks
- Drag the "awiis_YEAR" folder onto iTunes (you should see the progress bar at the top as it copies the books)
- If you look under "Books" you will see all the ebooks, but you won't be able to read them (yet!)
- Now attach your first device (e.g. iPad or iPhone) and wait for iTunes to recognise it
- In the new version of iTunes, your device will appear at the top of the screen, far right just beside the iTunes Store. If you have several devices attached (e.g. over Wifi), this will be a dropdown box, just click on the first device
- Look along the top Summary, Info, Apps... Books! Click on Books
- Tick Sync Books checkbox and leave “All books” radio button selected
- Click the Sync button at the bottom and wait!
- (Repeat steps 7 - 12 if you have another Apple device sync'd with iTunes)